Tuesday 11 October 2016

Experience of winning a cross country race after travelling whole night without sleep.

Ramesh Tamang
Kalimpong

My name is Ramesh Tamang. My father’s name is Mr. Hem Kumar Tamang. I am from Samalbong Khasmal in Kalimpong Sub Division, District Darjeeling. I am very grateful to Run with Roshni Foundation for providing me the opportunities to run different marathons since 2012. After completing class twelve from SUMI School, Kalimpong, currently, I am pursuing 1st year, BPed (Bachelors in Physical Education) from Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education (LNIPE), Guwahati.

Today, I am going to share my experiences from Satara Hill Half Marathon and Inter University Race, which were conducted in Satara District of Maharastra and Gwalior respectively. Satara Hill Half Marathon was on 18th September, 2016 for which Run with Roshni Foundation conducted a selection half marathon from Kalimpong to Pedong on 24th April, 2016. Only the experienced runners from team Run with Roshni could participate in Selection half marathon in which, I came first with the finish time of 1hr 21minutes and Uttam Bhujel came second. Roshni Didi, who is the founder of Run with Roshni Foudation selected two of us for Satara Hill Half marathon. I am very grateful to Mr. Prakash Wani, ACP Mumbai Police (Retd.), who had sponsored us to run Satara Hill Half Marathon.

On 8th September, 2016, I won a race in university and I got selected to represent my university in Gwalior. Thankfully, long time back I had requested our Dean for leave of eight days to go to run Satara Hill Marathon. On 14th September, 2016, I boarded train from NJP with Uttam and we reached Mumbai on 16th September, 2016. 

Roshni Didi was very busy, hence she could not come to receive us in the station. She explained us over the phone, how to travel by local train to Belapur from Thane station. We met Didi in Belapur station. She had arranged accommodation for us in Nair Hostel Belapur.

Ramesh and Uttam in Belapur Station.
Next day early in the morning, we left Belapur for Satara by bus along with other runners from Mumbai. We reached marathon expo at around 2;30pm and collected our running bibs and guddi bags.
Uttam, Roshni Didi and myself.
By the time, we reached hotel, it was already 6pm.We had early dinner and went to bed. 18th September, we got up at 4;30am and we had our breakfast. After walking for 10mins, we reached the start line.
Selfie with Roshni Didi
Marathon started exactly at 6am. Two days after, I had to participate in university’s event, hence I decided not to race in Satara Hill Half Marathon. I wanted to avoid any kind of injury. Till 4km, I was running with the elite runners, after that I started running easy. After running 10.5km uphill, we had to take u turn and we had to run downhill. Route was beautiful and I was enjoying my race. In downhill, I overtook many runners.

When I reached 18km, I got to know that I was in 4th place in Indian Category. I increased my speed and I overtook one runner. I touched the finished line in 1hr 23minutes and I secured third place. Uttam came in second place. After taking rest for sometime, I went to the hotel to get my mobile. I called up Roshni Didi, who had finished her half marathon in 2hrs 30mins. I gave her the good news that Uttam came second and I came third in India category. She was very happy.

We met our sponsor Mr. Prkash Wani and gave the good news to him as well, he was also very happy for us.
With Prakash Wani Sir and Madam.
 After sometime, they called all the winners on the stage for prize distribution but they did not call my name on the stage. Instead they called a person, who finished the marathon after me. We all were shocked. Roshni Didi tried to contact the organisors but due to the crowd, she could not reach upto them. I felt very sad but Roshni Didi assured me that she would do the needful to get the result corrected.


Uttam was called on the stage to collect his second prize. After the prize distribution, we went to the hotel. I got fresh and I took the permission of Roshni Didi to leave for Pune, where my cousin was waiting for me. I learnt a lot from the experiences of Satara Hill Marathon. I was very upset for not getting called on the stage to receive my third prize. I was assuring myself by saying that such things only teaches us good lesson in life.

I reached Pune in the evening. My cousin was waiting for me. From Pune, I called up my university’s professor from whom I got to know that our University’s cross country race in Gwalior was postponed from 20th September to 21st September. I was selected for that event, hence Sir asked me to come to Gwalior the next day itself. My cousin sponsored my flight ticket from Pune to Delhi. My flight was at 8pm on 20th September, 2016.

To go to Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education (LNIPE), Gwalior, which is my main university, my cousin had booked an online car for me. I landed in Delhi at 10;30pm. By the time, I collected my luggage and came out, it was 11;30pm. Driver was waiting for me. It was 5am in the morning, when I reached LNIPE, Gwalior. I was shocked, when driver told me that total fare to reach LNIPE, Gwalior from Delhi Airport was Rs. 7100/-. I was thinking that maximum car fare would be Rs.4000/-. Thankfully, I had enough money to pay the driver.
After checking my student identity card of LNIPE Guwahati, Security Guard opened the gate. I called up my professor but he did not attend my call. I was nervous for not knowing what to do next. Security guard told me that Inter University Cross Country Race was about to start and he also showed me the way to hostel. As soon as I reached the hostel, I changed my cloths and left for the start line of the race. There was only 15mins left to start the Inter University Cross Country race. I had not slept whole night. I had travelled for the first time by flight; hence I did not get any sleep in the flight. In the car, Driver did not allow me to sleep saying that seeing me sleeping, he would also feel asleep. It was a new place and I was travelling at night, I was scared also to sleep in the car.

Race started exactly at 6;30am. It was 12km race. My body was very tired after travelling without any sleep but deep inside, I was feeling very confident. I started increasing my speed. I was surprised myself, when I was overtaking other runners. It was like a miracle for me. I came first with the finish timing of 42mins 56secs. I got selected for All India University Cross Country Race, which was 26th October, 2016. I could not secure position in All India University Cross Country Race but I gained lots of experiences from it.

After the race, I got fresh and I had my breakfast. I called up Roshni Didi to give the good news. Didi gave me two more good news. Firstly she told me that online result of Satara Hill Half marathon shows my name on third position (Indian category) and secondly Roshni Didi got the visa to travel to China to participate in Chenese Mountain marathon. I felt very happy.

I am very grateful to Mr. Prakash Wani for sponsoring us to run Satara Hill Half Marathon. I am always indebted to Roshni Didi for providing golden opportunities to run various marathons for many of us. I hope in future also the blessings and love of Roshni Didi will remain the same for me.

Note;- For getting admission in Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education (LNIPE), Guwahati, apart from other test, there was a 1000mtrs race. Ramesh broke the record of university by running the distance of 1000mtrs in 2mins 37secs. Earlier record of University was 2hrs 40secs.
Ramesh came second in Running and Living Sikkim marathon, which was on 29th May, 2016 and he got the cash prize of Rs.50000/-. With that money he took admission in LNIPE, Guwahati. It will take 4yrs for Ramesh to complete BPed (Bachelors in Physical Education). His annual expenditure is Rs. 40000/-, which he was thinking to bear by winning the cash prizes in different marathons. However he says that he may not get the leave from University to participate in the marathons. Therefore, Run with Roshni Foundation has decided to help Ramesh by raising funds for his education. Run with Roshni Foundation is a registered Charity Trust, who can provide 80G Tax Exemption Certificate to all the donors. If you are interested to support Ramesh, please do write email to runwithroshni@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment